4-5/6 year oldsQ How are children developing?
Q What do they need from their parents?
- Children's language is much more developed. They can listen, understand and give detailed answers.
- They can play together now rather than alongside each other.
- With starting school they are spending a lot of time with children of the same age and have a new influential adult in their lives - their teacher.
- At school they will be learning about families and friends, different feelings people have and about stranger danger
- To be able to answer questions simply and honestly. Some examples of children's questions and suggested answers.
- To help them understand enough about where babies come from. Some appropriate books available in your local library.
- To give them names for genital area - penis, vulva, bottom etc. Suggested words to use to help children name body parts.
- To help them understand feelings and have basic words to describe them
- To have thought about how to respond to them touching their genitals at home and in public. Some suggestions
- To be able to explain where living things come from
- To talk about different kinds of families
- Age appropriate guidance on internet safety